Schools across California are required to meet certain criteria as it relates to food being served and advertised on school campuses, in classrooms, and during the school day. The following guidelines for Moreland School District can be found on our website on the Wellness Page. Schools are audited for adherence to these rules.
Food and Nutrition Highlights from Moreland's Wellness Policy:
- All non-compliant Smart Snack food items cannot be served or sold from 12:01AM until 30 minutes after school.
- To ensure students are nourished with a proper meal, classroom parties with Smart Snack compliant food will be scheduled only after lunchtime.
- All food and beverages marketed or promoted to students on the school campus during the school day must meet or exceed the USDA Smart Snacks standards. This may include:
- Advertisements in school publications or school mailings
- Free product samples, taste tests or coupons of a product, or free samples displaying advertising of a product
- Food and beverage marketing often includes oral, written or graphic statements.
- California Food Act requires a permit for all home prepared foods. Moreland School District cannot serve any home baked food products to students at any time for liability reasons. MEF and Home and School Clubs can serve prepared foods after the school day or on weekends.
- Classroom celebrations must be Smart Snack compliant and served after Lunch is served. Non Food celebrations can occur any time during the school day.
- Food and beverages should not be used as a reward, or withheld as punishment for any reason, such as performance or behavior.